3/2/18: My Challenge

My husband and I are currently going through the process to become foster parents. Last night was our very first training. I’m more nervous about it than ever. She discussed a lot of the basics and was incredibly honest about how tough it was going to be. In my head, I’m thinking to myself, “Do I have enough time for this? Can I be a wife, teacher, student, and mom all at the same time? Am I ready for that?” At the very end of the training, the trainer had us flip to the last page in our packet, which included this:

A hundred years from now… it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove… but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a CHILD.

I’ve heard this saying a million times over my lifetime (sometimes in different variations), but it really makes me think about not only the impact I can make as a foster mom, but the impact I can make as a teacher. I also have to remind myself that there are women every day- SUPERHEROES- that are wives, teachers, students, and moms. If they can do it, can’t I?

5 thoughts on “3/2/18: My Challenge

1. That is amazing!! You guys are going to make SUCH a difference and become so important to a child!

2. Wow! I hazard a guess that if you are both brave enough to take the leap to start this process, that you are brave enough to carry it through. Best wishes to you both!

3. You are one of the superheros for even considering becoming a foster parent. It is a tough gig for both the foster parents and the children. That last page quote reminds me of something I try to keep in mind when dealing w/ teens: “We make a living out of what we get. We make a life out of what we give.” Wishing you and your husband the best as you open your home to children in need.

4. Congratulations from one foster parent to another. I adopted my sons, who were students at my school, from the foster care system when they were 7 and 9. If you have any questions about our journey, you are welcome to email me (carwilc306@gmail.com).