SOL Tuesday

Slice of Life Tuesday 2/13/18

This is my first slice of life post! Starting in March, I will be joining the Slice of Life Challenge alongside my students.

When I’m thinking of my first slice, I thought back to my first memory of wanting to be a teacher. Growing up, my parents worked in the pet industry, so I was always around animals. I still have books in my parents’ basement about what I want to be when I grow up. Veterinarian popped up in the earliest years. But, when I got further through school, I realized I don’t want to work with animals all the time. It’s kids I wanted to be around.

My fifth grade teacher, Mr. Manderachi, retired the year after I had him. Because he was retiring, he made sure to make his last year worthwhile and memorable. I remember making stuffed whales for our whale unit and hanging these huge creations from the ceiling. One day, he put a walkie talkie into the whale and made it talk to us- he was awesome. It was that year I decided that I wanted to be a teacher like Mr. Manderachi. Not for the whales, but for the love of teaching I could tell he had. He made an impact on my life, and it’s my hope that I can do the same!

6 thoughts on “SOL Tuesday

1. What a great topic for your first blog post!! I also like your byline – A traveler in a Teachers Body!! So glad you are joining this challenge. This year will be my 5th and it is transformative to write and read and give comments daily for a month. Last year I made this padlet of ideas as I was afraid I’d run out of things to write about. Feel free to explore it if you get writers block in March!
    https://padlet.com/sally_donnelly/SOL2017WritingInspiration

1. Thank you so much for your response!!! I was so excited to see it! Your writing ideas padlet is fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

2. I, too, love your tag: A traveler in a teacher’s body! That’s who I am, too!

Your story is wonderful. Next year is my last year teaching, and I’m planning to make it special by taking a group of students to China.

During March you’ll want to turn off the anti-spam filter.

3. Stuffed whales?!??! Um, that sounds awesome … and memorable!

WELCOME to our writing community. I’m looking forward to reading more of your writing in the weeks to come.

4. You’re going to be AMAZED! Participating here has been one of the best things I have done for myself, both professionally and personally. All the best!